Fort Edmonton Foundation Job Posting
Fort Edmonton Foundation
Do you look forward to joining a team that values its employees and takes pride in their success? Would you enjoy working in a position where you can see firsthand how your work has contributed to the community? The Fort Edmonton Foundation’s Executive Director position provides the opportunity to build donor relations and to be recognized as an integral part of the team in the City of Edmonton’s Premier Cultural Heritage and Tourism Attraction.
About the Fort Edmonton Foundation
A volunteer-driven organization from its inception, the Fort Edmonton Foundation was founded in 1969 by a group of community leaders, several of them Rotarians, interested in establishing a visible memorial to the origins of the City of Edmonton. The objectives of the group, as outlined in the Memorandum of Association, were to:
Promote and support the establishment and development of a historical park in Edmonton, called Fort Edmonton Park, which was to contain the replication of old Fort Edmonton; and which was to be created to be historically accurate insofar as possible.
Assist in the preservation, display, restoration, and conservation of other buildings, sites, artifacts, personal papers and records, documents, and objects which reflect and record the historical heritage of the Edmonton area and its early citizens
Establish and maintain a fund for the said purposes and accept gifts of money and property, real and personal.
Apply the capital and income of the fund for said purposes.
Create and promote an internationally acclaimed living history experience.
The Fort Edmonton Foundation celebrates Edmonton’s vivid, diverse history. We achieve this through building community philanthropic support for capital projects and other initiatives within Fort Edmonton Park.
The primary core value of the Fort Edmonton Foundation is integrity. Integrity is the fundamental principle of our relations with our donors: it guides our stewardship of their contributions. The Foundation understands that its mission is accomplished solely because of the generosity of those who support it.
The Fort Edmonton Foundation believes that the maintenance of historical integrity is key to Fort Edmonton Park’s success as a financially sustainable historical attraction. The Fort Edmonton Foundation is fully dedicated to the successful development of Fort Edmonton Park as a globally-acclaimed living history experience.
The Fort Edmonton Foundation strives to ensure that all individuals who work to further its mission, be they donors, volunteers, staff, or stakeholders, are treated according to legally grounded policies and guided by respect and individual rights.
Executive Director Job Description:
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management and leadership of the Foundation according to the strategic direction set out by the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will work closely with FEMCo (Fort Edmonton Management Company), which operates on behalf of the City of Edmonton, which owns the buildings, artifacts, and land associated with the attraction. FEMCo manages the day-to-day operations of the Park while the Fort Edmonton Foundation raises funds to support the Park’s capital development.
The successful candidate will help establish specific goals and develop long-term philanthropic relationships with high-capacity prospects and donors. The Executive Director will solicit individual donations in face-to-face meetings and telephone correspondence and coordinate strategic moves to help the Foundation reach its overall financial goals. The Executive Director will work independently and collaboratively with the Fort Edmonton Foundation Board of Directors, Federal/Provincial and Municipal government bodies, FEMCo, and Fort Edmonton Foundation colleagues and volunteers.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation management and evaluation of all fundraising activities, including implementation of the Capital Campaign; development of a planned giving/legacy program; establishing opportunities for individual and corporate giving programs; grants and sponsorship programs.
- Works closely with FEMCo Management to ensure alignment with objectives of Fort Edmonton Park.
- Develops relationships with local businesses, foundations, and supportive organizations.
- Implements the 2020-2023 Strategic Plan.
- Enhances the government, public relations, and visibility of the Foundation.
- Supervises the activities of the Foundation and hires the necessary resources to fulfill the annual operational goals and campaign objectives
- Works with the Treasurer and Finance Committee to develop an annual budget.
- Ensures compliance with requirements of all levels of government
- Keeps the Board informed of significant issues and opportunities within the organization.
- Provides guidance and advice to the Board on process and governance issues.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education and Certifications:
- Related bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) Designation would be preferred.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to connect and understand the interests of prospects and donors and effectively communicate in these areas of interest.
- Developing strategies to solicit and secure major gifts, including prospect research, customized proposal writing, and direct involvement in gift requests.
- Confident and self-sufficient with personal and professional integrity.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills including presentation skills.
- Capacity to deal effectively, with poise and confidence, with potentially large donors of the Fort Edmonton Foundation, including direct solicitation.
- Willingness to be flexible and versatile.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Strong business administration skills.
- Familiar with all federal, provincial, and municipal government legislation.
- Capable of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
Interested candidates, please email your resume to the Fort Edmonton Foundation Board President by Aug 6, 2021.