About Samuel A. Dickson
The Samuel A. Dickson Award is presented to a Fort Edmonton Foundation supporter each year.
Mr. Dickson gathered the community together as a Rotarian, member of the Northern Alberta Pioneers and Old Timers’ Association, and then as a member of the Edmonton Museum Committee.
It wasn’t until 1965 when Mr. Dickson was 89 years old that the discussion to develop a heritage park was brought to the City Council. In 1967 commitment was granted, in 1969 the Fort Edmonton Historical Foundation was founded, and in May of 1974, the gates to Fort Edmonton Park were opened.
About Samuel A. Dickson Award
This award provides an opportunity for the Foundation to recognize and profile longstanding supporters. These supporters have dedicated their hearts, time, and financial gifts to the development of Fort Edmonton Park and the efforts of the Fort Edmonton Foundation. They are ambassadors and champions- much like Mr. Dickson.
By honouring our donors and supporters with this award we help keep the legacy of Samuel A. Dickson alive.
Would you like to nominate an individual, organization or corporation for the Samuel A. Dickson Award? Here’s what you need to know:
Nominations will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Time commitment and longevity of involvement with Fort Edmonton Foundation
- Volunteer contributions
- Donations/financial support (philanthropy and/or sponsorship)
- Ambassadorship – the individual’s or organization’s ability to promote the brand and mission of Fort Edmonton Foundation and/or influence community support for Fort Edmonton Foundation related projects and activities
- Past nominees will be considered, however, nominees cannot have received the Samuel A. Dickson Award in the previous two years
- Nominations open on October 5, 2023 and close December 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm MST
- Nominations must be submitted using the form below, by email or mail to the Fort Edmonton Foundation Executive Director by 4:00 pm MST December 31st. Email address and address can be found at the bottom of this page
- A subcommittee of the Fort Edmonton Foundation Board of Directors will adjudicate nominations and the Fort Edmonton Board of Directors will vote on the winner at the January board meeting
- The recipient of the award will be notified by the President and Executive Director of the Fort Edmonton Foundation on January 30, 2024
- Submissions exceeding 250 words will not be considered
- All nominators and nominees will be notified of the results on January 30, 2024
- Award will be presented at a Fort Edmonton Foundation event in 2024
See our past Samuel A. Dickson winners here
Samuel A. Dickson Award Nomination Form 2023
E-mail or mail your written nomination to:
Lori Farquharson-Persaud, Executive Director
Fort Edmonton Foundation
Fort Edmonton Foundation
PO Box 67112 Meadowlark RPO
Edmonton, AB T5R 5Y3